Low in calories, high in antioxidants and boasting anti-aging properties – the humble blackberry packs a nutritional punch much bigger than fruits more than twice its size. Here are some things you may not have known about blackberries!
1. Grown across Europe and the Americas for thousands of years, the blackberry, despite what its name suggests, is not actually a berry but an aggregate fruit – formed of individual drupelets held together by fine hairs.
2. As blackberries do not ripen once picked, they must be harvested from the bramble when plump with a deep colour before being either eaten, frozen or processed to preserve freshness.
3. The delicious sweet flavor of blackberry puree also makes it popular in preserves, jams and baked treats, as well as yoghurts, ice cream and juices. While blackberry crumble and pie are frequent favourites, blackberries can even be made into a homemade liqueur!
4. In addition to being delicious, blackberries offer a whole host of health benefits. They’re among the top sources of antioxidants which help fight the process of ageing, as well as giving your brain a boost by improving cognitive function. High levels of vitamins C, E and K, fibre and folate mean blackberries help keep your body functioning properly and your heart healthy.
5. Despite all the brilliant benefits of blackberries, the blackberry bush is considered a weed by many due to its ability to grow fast and thick in areas where it’s not necessarily invited!
Want to find out more? Get in touch with one of our team!